Monday, April 14, 2014

March Recap of MAGAM Project

This is what I vowed to make in March, for the Make a Garment a Month project:


I was planning on making the dress, adding piping to the neck and sleeve edges, and lining the skirt (oh, and adding pockets of course).

I got all the way to the neck, and tried it on, and realized that I hadn't taken the advice of all the sewist reviewers on Pattern Review -- I'd forgotten to cut the neckline larger. Argh! I was strangulating in it! The thought of unpicking the facing AND the piping, resizing the neckline, recutting the facings and resewing it all was overwhelming. I put it aside for what turned into a couple of weeks.

Meanwhile, I decided to make a nice easy top to recover from this mishap (New Look 6217) Well, that top had tons of neckline issues as well! I finally finished it this weekend (photos to come) and decided that since I'd spent so much time on it I might as well turn to fixing the dress as well. So my March garment will be finished, soonish, once I get those facings recut. Whew! That was the biggest case of sewer's block I've had for a LONG time. Once I finish and post I will also be deciding on a late April MAGAM too. More to come..........

10 comments:

  1. Sounds like you've recovered well and are back on your way! I'm sure your dress will be lovely and worth all your effort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you -- I have to finish it, as the skirt has worked perfectly and I love the fabric!

      Delete
  2. I left you a comment on MAGAM. Sorry to hear that you had problems. I made the top for my Daughter in law and it was fine and made the top and dress for myself. Hope you will be able to make it again without problems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so too! Good to hear that you made it without problems -- it gives me hope that I can actually recover this one and try again, as well.

      Delete
  3. Oh, what a hassle. Two in a row - not a good fun. I'm glad you are slowly getting things sorted out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, two in a row is a bit much! I want to get the dress sorted as I love the fabric so much...good thing there are a couple of days off this week to work on it!

      Delete
  4. So sorry.. Two in a row...definitely is too much.. Best wishes on finishing this one up.. I think it is going to be beautiful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it seems sometimes I"m "on" and sometimes I'm just not.... seem to be getting back in the sewing swing though, thankfully!

      Delete
  5. I always end up altering my necklines, I strangle easily too! Hope you return to that dress- Ill bet that fabric is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is nice fabric, that's the only reason I'm going to the effort of fixing my mistake ;)

      Delete

Share your comments, ideas or suggestions here -- I am always interested in hearing from readers. It's nice to have a conversation!